"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Marianne Williamson

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Power of Redescription and forgiveness

Tim Brownson, one of my Life Coaching heroes (the first actually) talks about 'reframing'. I use the term 'redescribe' which philosopher, Richard Rorty, used in "Contingency, Irony, and Solidarity." Basically, take every event in you life and give it a narrative - this narrative can have an empowering, disempowering, or neutral effect on you. For example, if someone came from an abusive household they might say that because they came from a dysfunctional family they are doomed to failed relationships and unhappiness. They may blame their parents, siblings, teachers, friends etc for the way their life has gone.

A redescription or reframing of the aforementioned might sound like this: while there were many challenges to overcome and pain to experience, I am not bound to continually punish myself for what happened in the past - I acknowledge there was pain and frustration for us all and let it go. I forgive myself for the choices I have made and forgive others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment